Summarized by Rajesh
What is Chinmaya Mission to you?
“MY UNFOLDMENT THROUGH STUDY OF SCRIPTURES & SEVA”
- we need to do Seva, otherwise the ‘little i’ keeps increasing
- we need to look for opportunities to doing consistent Seva
- meditation is part of Unfoldment
Replace ‘I’ve been doing’ with ‘Through the grace of God, I’ve been able to …”
“MY UNFOLDMENT THROUGH STUDY OF SCRIPTURES & SEVA”
- we need to do Seva, otherwise the ‘little i’ keeps increasing
- we need to look for opportunities to doing consistent Seva
- meditation is part of Unfoldment
Replace ‘I’ve been doing’ with ‘Through the grace of God, I’ve been able to …”
Additional reading reference:
- Many Lives, Many Masters
- Same Soul, Many Bodies
- Mahabharata
Recap of last class (24Nov24!)
Subjective Analysis - Identify and focus
Subjective Analysis - Identify and focus
Story #1: Nachiketa’s story
Yama comes late to receive Nachiketa at the entrance of Yamaloka. For keeping his guest waiting, Yama gives him 3 boons. Nachiketa asks for:
2 lessons:
Story #2
A young woman who wasn’t married till late in her life, is given advice to do penance. She does that and she finds a groom and she gets married.
Then she feels sad that she doesn’t have kids and she follows advice to do further penance, resulting in kids
Then the kids don’t get married, so she gets the same advice about doing penance. But this time, she says she doesn’t know what she wants and neither does anyone else. She meets a Guru who asks her to meditate and that allows her to reach Moksha as she gives up on materialistic goals.
Yama comes late to receive Nachiketa at the entrance of Yamaloka. For keeping his guest waiting, Yama gives him 3 boons. Nachiketa asks for:
- For his family, he asks that when he returns, that his dad won’t think he is a ghost (slyly making sure that both he and his father are going to be ok)
- For the common good for everyone, welfare to society - this becomes Nachiketa’s Yagna
- For himself, he asks what is beyond death? Yama tries to distract him with many things including rule over Yamaloka, but Nachiketa had single-pointed focus.
2 lessons:
- maintain single point of focus toward reaching Moksha
- but do this while doing our duties and our Dharma
Story #2
A young woman who wasn’t married till late in her life, is given advice to do penance. She does that and she finds a groom and she gets married.
Then she feels sad that she doesn’t have kids and she follows advice to do further penance, resulting in kids
Then the kids don’t get married, so she gets the same advice about doing penance. But this time, she says she doesn’t know what she wants and neither does anyone else. She meets a Guru who asks her to meditate and that allows her to reach Moksha as she gives up on materialistic goals.
Ch9 - verses 15-17
Verse 15: Others, engaging in the Yagna of cultivating knowledge, worship Me by many methods. Some see Me as undifferentiated oneness that is non-different from them, while others see Me as separate from them. Still others worship Me in the infinite manifestations of My cosmic form.
In verse 15, Bhagavan says that whether path we believe in (like advaita, dvaita & Vishista Advaita), we can all reach Him. Similar.y, when asked who are you in relation to Rama, Hanuman-ji says:
Verses 16 & 17: It is I who am the Vedic ritual, I am the the sacrifice, and I am the oblation offered to the ancestors. I am the medicinal herb, and I am the Vedic mantra. I am the clarified butter, I am the fire and the act of offering. Of this universe, I am the Father; I am also the Mother, the Sustainer, and the Grandsire. I am the purifier, the goal of knowledge, the sacred syllable Om. I am the Rig Veda, Sama Veda, and the Yajur Veda
Theme - Krishna is like Electricity saying that it is powering all the appliances
We stopped before we saw the videos.
Verse 15: Others, engaging in the Yagna of cultivating knowledge, worship Me by many methods. Some see Me as undifferentiated oneness that is non-different from them, while others see Me as separate from them. Still others worship Me in the infinite manifestations of My cosmic form.
In verse 15, Bhagavan says that whether path we believe in (like advaita, dvaita & Vishista Advaita), we can all reach Him. Similar.y, when asked who are you in relation to Rama, Hanuman-ji says:
- in the physical sense, this body is Rama’s servant
- In the jiva sense, I am part of Rama
- In the Atma sense, we are the same
Verses 16 & 17: It is I who am the Vedic ritual, I am the the sacrifice, and I am the oblation offered to the ancestors. I am the medicinal herb, and I am the Vedic mantra. I am the clarified butter, I am the fire and the act of offering. Of this universe, I am the Father; I am also the Mother, the Sustainer, and the Grandsire. I am the purifier, the goal of knowledge, the sacred syllable Om. I am the Rig Veda, Sama Veda, and the Yajur Veda
Theme - Krishna is like Electricity saying that it is powering all the appliances
- Yagna of knowledge - Ignorance being offered as a sacrifice to gain the right knowledge of the Brahman
- You see Brahman in everything like you see your reflection in every reflecting surface
- Verse 16 -> pointer to Atman starts here
- Like GOLD saying all ornaments are ME; Cotton telling that all clothes are ME; Krishna is saying all of creation is ME
- FATHER = spirit; MOTHER = matter
- Like a child attracted and bound to the toys; we spiritual children are attached to materialistic thing around us
We stopped before we saw the videos.
No comments:
Post a Comment